View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018   #2
Flyman 27

Default Re: Replace hood latch & cable? I thought it would be easy!

Update: With a bit a dinking around, I figured out that the Dorman latch was not quite made correctly. I had to modify the 2 mounting tabs that fit into slots in the steel mount. A few seconds with a Dremel tool, and it fit perfectly.
Then there is the Dorman hood release cable.... I tried Dorman cables from 3 different sources and all 3 were too short by about 1/2 inch. Another quality product made in China.
Almost everybody sells the Dorman parts, but after a bit of searching I found "Bair's" cables at Ecklers and OEM reproductions at GMpartsdirect.com.
I ordered the GM parts even tho they were $30 more because I have installed faulty cables so many times, I just wanted the issue to be done.

You can't get far enough up under the dash to see the mounting screw holding in the latch. With a mirror I discovered that it is a phillips screw. Which is stupid because all the other dash fasteners are either hex head or torx. Going by feel, you just can't feel what kinda screw it is. NOW it is a hex head.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote