Thread: LT5 info
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018   #4
spork2367

Default Re: LT5 info

Quote:
Originally Posted by klork View Post
I very recently acquired what appears to be an early LT5. Supposedly has 4500 miles on it but I have no way to confirm this. From what I have been told the *** end of the car caught fire and that's why the engine was removed. Since this engine has most likely been sitting a long time I was wondering what items should be replaced before using it. Should I replace seals and gaskets? Fuel injectors? I also have the wiring harness, computer, all accessories, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing and both exhaust manifolds.

I am not sure if I am going to be using the stock computer or go the megasquirt route to make tuning easier.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the stock harness? I have some cut wires and I would like to identify what they are.

I will most likely be using a LT1 T56 since I already have one and from what I understand the T56 will bolt up except one hole does not line up?

There are some parts on the engine I may or may not be using and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a fair price for some of this stuff. Bellhousing, flywheel and clutch assembly, exhaust manifolds. Both cats are still on there but on manifold had the ball flange cut off for some reason. And I may sell the computer.

Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it.
Fuel injectors should be replaced. Accels 150821 can be had for 630.00 dollars.

Do all the gaskets you removed to get to them. Check vacuum system for leaks, or remove secondary system while it's apart.

Rebuild starter while you're in there. Nothing is more frustrating than putting it all back together for it not to crank.

I'd also do plugs and wires while you're in there.

Wiring diagrams should be in the LT5 manuals. They can be had for 100.00 for the full set.

Get it running on the stock computer first. The megasquirt will run rough from day one and might mask other issues from your install.

I'm not sure if anyone else has used a T56 behind an LT5 or not, but it may be cheaper to find a ZF vs. reinventing the wheel to use a T56. The LT5 uses a different input shaft than the LT1.

Parts prices if you sell:

Bellhousing - 250.00 (at best, there are about 6 on ebay right now)

flywheel and clutch assembly - 650.00 (assuming tight and low mileage)

exhaust manifolds (cut) - 400.00 (for the pair)

computer - 1100-1500 (I sold one for 1100 about a year ago)
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote