View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020   #17
MarkSS

Default Re: I Think I Want a C4 ZR-1

I will give a little perspective and hopefully help as someone who has owned a couple 4th gen Camaros as well as a couple ZR-1s. You didn't mention if you have driven one yet or not, which I would recommend for anything before purchasing, but I will attempt a comparison here. I will base it off of my 99 SS Camaro, because the LS1 cars are significantly quicker than the LT1s (my other Camaro was a 96 Z/28).

To be honest, a stock ZR-1 is not a lot faster than a stock SS Camaro. However, the power delivery is quite different. The LT5 loves revs and really comes alive above 3500 rpm all the way to redline around 7000. The sound is also unique and, though the LT5 sound isn't special at idle, it is at speed... I never get tired of it.

The ZR-1 is a more refined touring car than the Camaro and has a very good, almost too soft ride in touring mode. If I am going to be on a road with corners, I usually turn the dial up to Sport or Performance, but on the interstate or on city streets I usually leave it in touring. Launches are fun and more effective in touring because you get more weight transfer to the rear.

I actually have a slight preference on shift feel for the T56 in the Camaros compared to the ZF in the Corvettes, but the ZF 6 speed is quite durable so there are rarely issues there unless it has been powershifted a lot, which can cause the synchros to fail.

I haven't experienced any ZR-1 specific problems with either of them I have owned, as the LT5 is very reliable. The one I am hoping not to have to deal with is starter failure, as it is hard to access and requires removal of the plenum. This may be the most common issue specific to the ZR-1. I have had to replace headlight motors, and Bose amps as they are prone to failure on any C4. My first 1990 had the dreaded airbag light that I had fixed and then it came on again the week I sold it... my current car has not had this issue, which is usually related to corrosion on the ground for it.

I love Camaros and currently have a 14 Z/28, but the ZR-1s are a unique part of Corvette history, still fun to drive, and deserving of the King of the Hill title for their day.

Have fun in the search and I think you will have a blast with a ZR-1.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote