View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020   #167
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Ruff Idle ,Huge Loss of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
I had accidentally interrupted this thread in the middle with my hesitation issues and apologize, but have been following it and with some advice here and just some old school stuff finally got around to looking into my stumbling / hesitation issues. If felt like an old fashion mis and so I hooked up my timing light to each plug wire. Been awhile since I had t he timing light out. I went down the line up with cylinder 1 first then 2 etc. Sure enough once I got to plug 5 the light started shuddering, not the constant pulsed flash of the first two cylinders. I kept going and sure enough 8 was acting the same way. So upon some research the WSM etc. I saw that it is the same coil that sparks both cylinders, so pretty sure I found my issue. I haven't started to start the operation yet, but have all new coils and wires and also decided to splurge and get new FIC injectors. I had used them previously on a 91 ZR1 I had and was really happy with the response. I am looking forward to getting started, It has been too long.

WHAT?

Are you some kind of heathen or anarchist?

How can you possibly diagnose such a thing without the latest wiz-bang Scanner costing upwards of $10,000.00?

Good Job!!!

I chuckle when I see one of my techs pulling individual spark plug wires and evaluating what effect, if any, each has on the running engine.

Some things that you learn as a kid, fortunately stay with you throughout your life.

When young, I wished I had access to a then "state of the art" Sun Distributor Analyzer.
When the"old mechanic" asked me what I needed that for, he reached into his tool box and pulled out a box of distributor advance weights and springs.
He instructed me to grab my timing light.
Over the next hour of trying various combinations and observing changes in the timing with the light, we "curved" my distributor the old fashioned way.
For years he had me keep fresh match book covers and a new set of points in my glove compartment so that I could do "Super-Tuning" whenever needed.

My ear can still tell how many turns a mixture screw needs.

Kind of neat with all of the welcome technological advances, some old tried and true methods still get you to the same place.

Now get Mark's DVD and tackle that plenum pull and replace those coils!

Keep us posted with your progress!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote