Thread: Brakes VS Hp
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021   #6
onethumb

Default Re: Brakes VS Hp

Wow---those wilwoods just barely fit under the rims.

When buying my rims and brakes, I noticed that the wilwoods were pretty bulky, but visually it's just obvious how much they dictate your wheel offset and shape.

I went a different direction for that reason. I couldn't fit wilwoods under the wheel I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
You will get tons of different opinions as only you can determine what you want versus what you need. When I build my cars I don?t care what anyone thinks and I base it on feel, real world experience, and how I want it to look. I didn?t feel the need to upgrade brakes until I changed to a certain style of wheel and experienced what I lacked for me on the track. Even if I do not drive often on the track. You can test your car in a safe environment by doing emergency braking. If you feel it is okay for you then you will know if you want to try just pads, fluid, braided lines, etc. I had done all of that before upgrading actual calipers and rotors.

When my car looked stock I was satisfied with stock everything. I will tell you that I have a different opinion with different model years of ZR-1s I have owned and their wheel design. I did not care for the stock 90 wheels as an example so I went CCW Classics in 18?. On my 95 with the stock open design of A molds it shows more brake so I wanted to upgrade for aesthetic reasons and once I tracked the car. I also have Shelby Series 1s on this car. Since they are 18? and more open it really looked empty behind the wheel. I also have Dymag Gen II I run on this car which are 17? and very open wheels too. So I went with Wilwood 4 piston all around that allows me to run all my wheels in both 17? and 18?. Having said that not all stock Z wheels have the same clearance by pad height and design. They provide detailed diagrams for you to measure clearance before purchase. Not all their kits have the same calipers and clearance to so I went with the Narrow Lites. I actually had Wilwoods from Revolution Brakes that caused clearance issues; not with actual Wilwood kits. The best price I found found for Wilwood was from Jeg?s with free shipping, even to my postal address in Japan.

I upgraded both front and rear to Wilwood and could not be happier with the improved braking, feel, and looks. For me I have everything I want in the cars braking ability for street or track. I personally would not put 19? or larger wheels on a C4 Corvette, I just don?t like the ratio of wheel to car design and that is just me. The bottom line is work your way up in your likes and expectations and base it on your experience as you use your brakes to determine what is best for you. Best wishes in your quest and build.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...&axle=Front+Ki

I am posting a few photos for my rationale. You will also need to consider caliper clearance for your spare tire once you upgrade your brakes. The one shown is from a late model GTO (some people use the Cadillac CTS-V spare.

Attachment 16220Attachment 16221Attachment 16222Attachment 16223Attachment 16224

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry