View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022   #1
conesare2seconds

Default Leak - oil pressure switch

Edit: updating this because the leak ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. The oil pressure switch was a good suggestion. Thanks again to Jerry for suggesting it could be the cause.

I was able to locate a pressure switch locally and tried David Hetrick?s suggested technique of accessing the switch by coming across the top of the engine from the driver?s side. It?s a very good solution if there is no EGR.

On a 94 with EGR, the tube occupies a lot of the space that could be used to access the switch. It may be possible, but I wasn?t able to get a socket onto the switch. Could be a lack of mechanical talent on my part.

So the route to take will be pulling the filter adapter for access to the switch. Not terrible to do but there is no time to get a new gasket and do the job before it?s time to leave for the Gathering Weds morning. Still attending, but I?m a scratch for the touring laps.

Original post:
Has anyone ever seen a leak from the oil level sensor in the pan?

Oil is leaking from somewhere and blowing back onto the exhaust. After a drive there is oil smoke rising from the back of the engine at the passenger side.

I cleaned off the pan and drove it a few miles today. When I got back under the car, I saw oil had run down from the front passenger side of the pan and you can see the new oil on the pan in the pic below.

I assumed it had run down from the oil pressure regulator or maybe the filter adapter since both areas are pretty oily, but I noticed the oil level sensor is also covered in oil and wondered if it could be leaking through the sensor and wicking out the wires. The weather pack seal (not sure, it could just be an o-ring) is pretty loose, the connector pops out super easy.

I?m not comfortable bringing the car to the Gathering with such a large leak but I?ll fix it if possible.

24C62720-37A4-44E0-9EE0-A2B97C52E592.jpeg
39F60013-2811-49DD-9AFB-12CF763BAB98.jpeg

Last edited by conesare2seconds; 11-30-2023 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Leak identified
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote