View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023   #1
Mikey

Default Side and rear emblems complete on my 1991

Mission complete. The rear on my '91 had the two posts but not wing nuts holding them on. The posts seemed to be either mushroomed or had a press-fit cap. There was just enough room to fit my arm up in the rear bumper from underneath and use wire cutters to snip the posts off. Needed a flashlight to see while doing it.

I ended up using a plastic thumb scraper tool to get under the edge of the emblem and work it free. I use this same tool for removing old vinyl decals off my race car. Once the emblem was off, used some goo gone and the thumb scraper to get most of the old foam tape off.

Placement of the new rear emblem was easy, I didn't cut the posts off and just used the existing holes to help align and cover up what was left of the old foam tape (very thin layer remained in about 25 percent of the emblem outline area).

For emblem color, I chose black background with silver ZR-1 letters and red bowtie. That was the colors I have seen on nearly every black 1992-1995 ZR-1 hood. It's bright and obvious and helps advertise the car is special.

The emblem I pulled off the rear of my 1991 was dark gray background with black ZR-1 letters. After some investigating, I believe the 1990 and 1991 cars used this color scheme. Charcoal gray is a rare body color only offered in 1990 and 1991. It seems the original black cars shared the same emblem. This color scheme was cool in its own rite, looking a bit stealth. But in the end, I think I prefer the emblem background color to match the car body color. Finding 2 more original charcoal gray to use on the sides would probably take awhile anyway - there is just one on ebay now for $70.

For the side emblems, I measured the reported 1-7/8 inch up from the bottom and 5-3/4 inch forward of the aft hood edges respectively and used blue painters tape to mark the intended emblem placement. The post I found wasn't clear, but I assumed the measurement was to the bottom and the rear of the emblem. I lightly tacked the edge of the driver's side emblem and then stepped back to look. To my eye, it seemed this location was not aesthetically pleasing. The emblem seemed to be kind of "floating" up in no-man's land. I settled on 1-1/8 inch up.

See photos for final results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR-1 rear emblem original.jpg (157.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 rear emblem new.jpg (174.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 LF emblem.jpg (254.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 RF emblem.jpg (179.6 KB, 60 views)
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote