View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023   #10
Meanmyz

Default Re: Repainting Throttle Body Cover

I thought I would relay my own experience with this. I too, repainted my plenum cover with the Lingenfelter paint. Trying to do it correctly, I removed all traces of old gasket material and cleaned up coolant residue under the cover. I recut and used my own bulk gasket material of the same thickness. Inside two years, the paint lifted again.

THIS Time, after cleaning everything up and repainting, I used permatex (orange, I think) to coat my cut gasket material and then let it dry. I reassembled. That was 20 years ago and I haven't had a problem since with electrolysis, or whatever causes the lifting. And yes, this on a car, that still runs the coolant through the throttle body.

As far as "match", for the fact that it was the Lingenfelter paint and somewhat close (but not perfect), I decided to leave it alone as is.

Case in point, I seem to think that coating the material helped against electrolysis. I did not paint the underside of the cover (not that anyone would), but I think that is important too...not to give avenues for the electrolysis to travel if it gets under any paint and just continues on... I only painted the top and sides of the cover (masked off bottom).

Hope my post makes sense and provides some degree of insight to someone. -Meanmyz.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote