View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009   #192
scottfab

Default Re: 91 ZR-1 Cutting Out Under Load

Generally I’d have to agree with the functional description of a transformer entered. However, there are a few assumptions that cannot be made. Some matter some don’t. The core of the transformer may not be iron. It’s probably a composite ferrite. That does not matter.
But to assume the diameter of the primary wire is the same as the GM part may be a mistake. Assuming this was done on purpose as a method of increasing reliability it may be that a smaller diameter wire was used. This would make it possible for the manufacturer to use the same number of windings but draw less power. Less power would mean less heat internally. Less heat at the windings could translate to fewer shorts between windings. This is pure speculation on my part but I’d guess the higher primary winding resistance was done on purpose.

Generally using winding resistance is a poor way of judging coil quality. While differential resistance between like type parts is better than nothing a truer measure would be output voltage swing measurements. And what’s more doing this measurement while the coil is at high temperature would be a great test. I am not sure of what the major failure component would be on these coils but I am guessing either internal shorts OR high voltage arching internally. An internal arching problem is not likely to show up on a static resistance measurement.

What I’ve read about the Summit and Accel coils on this thread does not confirm to me that they are bad. If the primary connectors were not pinching the spade end of the car’s connection addequately that is easily fixed my squeezing them together before assembly. Such a failure does not mean the coil cannot produce the needed output voltage. Of key importance on these coils is longevity at the temperatures in the engine valley that the LT5 has.

I’d sure like to get my hands on a coil that fails. Even better, one that reportedly fails on only one side. That is, each coil sparks two cylinders each time if fires. (one is on exhaust stroke the other on compression) On a failure such that only one side fails it should be possible to swap the two plug wires right at the coil and see the failure move to the other cylinder. Yah, that would be a lot of plenum work

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote