View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009   #30
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I'll stand by what I posted. I can't find the bill, though. But you can go to WRP site and look up the bearings yourself and you will notice that the crank bearings are in the crank section, and the rods are sold seperately at the rod section(?)....wow that chit is expensive! When I bought them it was like $410.00(?,I have to check my paypal account for the figure ) for the complete set, rods & mains.

I thought it was a prudent choice, but then after buying them I'm not so sure. If I need bearings, I need a crank...or why am I taking apart a motor that is fine? If the rings are worn, then the bearings are worn also, but will the crank stand new bearings with out any crank work? See what I mean? Now I see why the guys that know say rebuild time? The answer = 368 or bigger.

Okay, like I said I'll stand by my post! The only caution I have is that I assume that you have been tracking your oil analysis over quite a number of miles?...otherwise, one analysis is worthless as a wear indicator, generally. Make sure the crank journals are up to just a bearing swap or you will have to go back in at a later date and redo it all!. JMHO.

Tom
Tom,

Thanks again and I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do and won't know for sure until I get it all apart so no rush. I want to do this right so I will have to check everything out and think about how much to spend. I would like also find out more about WRP bearings too so I have research to do. I cannot do another analysis and that is the first but will have to be my indicator and reason enough to inspect the bottom half. Thanks and Aloha, Craig