View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010   #78
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow#2 View Post
Hi Craig, Where was the cam timing and what did you find to explain your low compression? Good luck with the rest of the project. George
Hello George,

Unfortunately I don't know exactly how far off the timing was other than the pins when checking with factory setting method. I could not figure out the true cause of the low compression other than the fact that the entire driver's side bank was lower and to me related to the camshaft timing. Testing with vacuum and engine running did not give any specific indicators and appeared normal using Mightyvac procedures. Did not do a leak down test and was going to rebuild anyway at the time. I had decided to just get the heads reworked and replace the bottom half components so I could cover all basis and shoot for more HP at the same time with all the porting work. I will definitely degree the camshafts upon assembly or at a minimum verify all the settings to ensure within specs. Thanks for your wishes and I will need it. Just waiting on some piston rings since the bottom half assembly I bought arrived with all but one of the oil rings broken or damaged.