Thread: I am ready!
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010   #20
Dynomite

Default Re: I am ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Actually, my pan gasket is not thicker than the OEM, stock gasket. The o-ring by design does have a larger cross section, i.e. thicker. The gasket probably feels thicker because it is uncompressed, has much higher tensil strength and is wider to take advantage of more mating surface area that is present on the block & pan. All of these modifications make the gasket stronger and improves the seal. "Compressed" gasket thickness (when installed) is virtually identical to the OEM gasket.

The OEM o-ring when used with the OEM pan gasket or mine, is only compressed 3~4%, whereas design standards for o-rings of this size & used in flange seal applications is significantly higher at 20~30%.
I stand corrected...but that gasket and "O" ring I installed (91' Z) sure looked thicker than my stock gasket and "O" ring I remember thinking..... "WOW now this is a GASKET"......and...... "an upgraded "O" ring"......I am NOT going to take it apart again to check.

I measured an OEM used gasket after removal and found .047 which is exacltly what Jerry suggested for an uncompressed OEM gasket.

This is the second time in this thread I have been appropriately corrected

I am going back to the Corvette Babes section and resign myself to commenting on Avatars from now on

Say......after visiting the Corvette Babes section, studying Jeff's Avatar again and doing some more thinking........are you saying that your "O" ring (oil pickup for 91' Z) is thicker than OEM with greater compression and resulting greater sealing?

If so....my perception is not completely off the mark and I prolly will take back my statement regarding my commenting on Corvette Babes and Avatars only

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote