View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010   #4
QB93Z

Default Re: Ok, why Bendpak?

Bob,

I chose the BendPak because of: High quality construction, pneumatically operated safety latches, safety "stops" are independent (sort of) from the support column, and the ability to add a rolling hydraulic jack.

The safety stops issue was most important to me. The BendPak's safety pawls are each independently engaged by spring action unless they are pulled out by a air piston. So it is very, very unlikely that even one safety would fail to engage on uncontrolled downward motion. On the lifts that have a lever system to hold the safety pawls disengaged, it appeared to me that a single failure (for example binding in the main lever) would keep ALL the pawls from engaging.

In some lifts, the safety pawls engage with a catch tab welded to the support column. It seemed to me that if the column got twisted (for some very unlikey reason), the engagement of the safety pawl could be compromised. In the BendPack the safety pawls engage with a very heavy duty steel plate with openings (a ladder) that is internal to the support columns, but not welded to the column.

By the way, I just buried a good friend who was working on his car on a jack. The jack apparently slipped out and he was crushed. My recommendation is buy a good lift!!!

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote