View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016   #1
secondchance

Default LED headlight upgrade

My passenger side headlight died on me about a week ago. Instead of replacing the burnt out Silverstar, figured it to be an opportunity to get $24.95 discount on a pair of LED set. I had been keeping an eye on GE Nighthawk LEDs but at $260 ea. it wasn't easy decision. Then I noticed what looked to be the same or remarkably similar looking lights from Truck-lite.

I ordered a pair from Ebay and showed up on Friday.

Below is a shot of light pattern/color of Silerstar halogen (left) and Truck-lite LED (right). LED side is definitely whiter with much larger pattern.

Shot of both sides installed. Note the light is divided horizontally with the top for low beam and lower side dedicated to high beam.

Shot of light pattern on the wall with both sides.

Now that my night vision isn't what it use to be, this definitely was a worthwhile upgrade. Whereas halogen throws straight, candle flame shaped bright area with lower lit areas left and right, LEDs throw more evenly lit, wide area. Also, LEDs throw light almost immediately in front of the car and forward. So much so, driving lights are pretty much not necessary.

Since purchase I noticed GE Nighthawks are available at $209 each from Amazon.

I haven't had time to modify driving light ground. At the moment when I switch on the driving light, I get high beam. I think I'll add HID driving lights when I modify the wiring.

Last edited by secondchance; 01-17-2016 at 11:59 AM.