View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014   #1
5ABI VT

Arrow My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome !

I went with DC power. They seem to have an impeccable reputation throughout several forums I browsed and read up reviews on. They were also just as good as a few other vendors replying via email but were the only ones that were promising fitment and seemed like were confident it would fit my zr-1. Its a 180 amp. is much more efficient especially when hot. has high quality bearings and will pump out a ton more amperage at idle, and be much more efficient and handle higher rpms vs stock.

I received the alternator today and bolted it up. It does fit, the pulley lines up etc but there were a few things that we discussed that didn't turn up as planned.

First I had asked for black anodizing, and received billet aluminum. May have gotten lost in the multiple emails we exchanged so not too big of a deal as I may take it apart and anodize the front and back casing over the winter. On the other hand I couldn't decide between bare aluminum and black so its not such a bad thing lol.

Second the power bolt is on the side. We had discussed it to exit at the rear. This may or may not have been a mistake or intentional but it was located at 10 o clock (if facing the pulley) so the location should work regardless.

Thirdly the power connector they included for the oval plug has 2 wires while my plug has 3 wires. I emailed them and am waiting for a reply but I figured I'd ask here as im sure someone would know what to do there?

Here are some mockup photos. the top ear seems on the thin side. I may add washers there. the bottom ear included a sleeve and fits almost perfectly. ABout a 1mm gap but my ground wire fits in there perfectly which runs to the battery so I used that there.

Fresh in the box !

mocked up in place. Pretty sure the hot wire is in a spot that should work.

gap at the outer ear. will shim
it up

oem plug on the right, provided plug on the left. thoughts? what are our 3 wires for ?

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 12-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote