View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015   #6
Hib Halverson

Default Re: Record Run Retrospective at the Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Sorry I won't be there for this. Great story. If I were, I would ask "what specifically about the LT-5s performance gave Hayner the confidence to think it could do this?" As he drove the car during the R&T performance driving, I'd be interested in hearing his story during that ride that led to his sense the LT-5 could do the 24hours?
I've known Stu Hayner since the mid-80s. In fact, I was the one who obtained Stu's services for the "speed run". I was, also, present on that back road near Yermo CA, covering it for Road &Track's "Specials" division which used to publish a Corvette Annual. Hayner and two guys from the magazine testing staff who had the radar gun and a handitalkie and me shooting photos. I forget the actual speed, but it was right around 180.

Several months later, when Stu spoke to Pete Mills, the discussion was only about the car's speed potential and not its reliability/durability in a 24-hour record attempt. My understanding is that it was the GM guys (Heinricy and Minneker) who felt the durability would be there as long as the engine was throttle stopped.

In any event, that's a good question. Unfortunately, Hayner is not going to attend so only half the question can be answered.
Quote:
One other thing. Anyway we could record this so those of us not there could watch on YouTube or something like that?
That's up to the Museum. I suppose if enough people ask, maybe they will tape it.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote