View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024   #8
zyal8r

Default Re: 1994 #150: New member and new to me ZR-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
Hey Mike, it's still early but here's my initial review.

The C7 Z06 feels, to no surprise she's 21 years newer, lightyears ahead as far as refinements/comfort. The speed effortlessly comes on and getting to 150 MPH or beyond is a non-event it happens so easy. The magnaride with the 2019 upgrade from GM made the car far more tolerable compared to its original 2015 programming which was a bit more "wooden cart" feeling.

However.... the C4 ZR-1 has a visceral feeling I absolutely love and it's like tossing a go-kart around. The howl to 7K is like no other I've experienced so far, and it commands your attention. Does she squeak and rattle a bit more, sure, but the connection to the road is more direct and I feel like I'm actually driving the car more than the C7 with its fancy rev matching and other technology doo-dads.

I've driven both for 12 hours stints (Omaha to Detroit for the ZR-1 and Boston to Detroit for the Z06) and they're both fun but different experiences. I may actually give the edge to the ZR-1 for seat comfort compared to the Z06's competition seats, though I do wish the ZR-1 had heated seats.

The other neat thing is you currently see C7s all over the place and C8s are popping up more and more. I see far less C4s around here and cannot tell you the last time I saw a ZR-1 in my area either on the road or at a show. It's nice to have something unique to share with people.

-brian

Great comparison, thank you! Makes a lot of sense. I had custody of my dad's C6 Z06 for about a year, and I thoroughly enjoyed that car, fast as all get out (not a C7 Z06 obviously) but this was long before my ZR-1. I love the tech in newer cars but honestly the C4s are still my favorite generation. I can't get enough of them. I want other generations at some point, but I'm not letting go of my C4s. I agree that there are fewer and fewer C4s around. I'm in the Kansas City area. Interestingly there is a ZR-1 Registry member about a mile from me (dnobull) - he's got a 40th ZR-1. But years go by without seeing another ZR-1. I'm aware of maybe six within 50 miles, most of them on this forum... but definitely few and far between. It's absolutely nuts to think these cars are "historic" by most states' definitions. I'm trying to think of a good personalized historic plate for mine. Time marches on, I guess.

I agree, I do enjoy the sports seats - very comfortable. And you're not kidding about unique - not much more unique than your Admiral Blue!

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote