View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017   #6
conesare2seconds

Default Re: Another Fun Day At Road Atlanta

You'll want to look for a 3/4 ton tow vehicle with your enclosed trailer. The longer roof of an SUV is a little help with Aero compared to a pickup with an open bed. I went with a 2500 Suburban with the (now discontinued) 8.1L. The 6.0 is more common and pulls well, it's not a penalty choice. The biggest advantage of 3/4 ton over half ton is the transmission, some half tons don't like to tow in overdrive or can tow in overdrive but should be shifted to 3rd when stopping.

I previously had a 7.3 Powerstroke in an extended cab F250 Superduty and it was a great truck but the later Ford diesels can be problematic. Gas v. Diesel is a raging debate and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Because I only towed occasionally the bottom line for me was a gas was cheaper to maintain and cheaper to buy and was the better choice when I bought the Suburban.

One other small note about an SUV compared to a truck: consider turning radius if you'll be using it for any kind of errand running. Your trailer isn't a 5th wheel so you don't need a long wheelbase truck. Comparing the GM pickups to the Suburban the SUV has a shorter wheelbase and is therefore way easier to park than even a short-box pickup. The Excursion is a good SUV and the wheelbase is only slightly longer than the Suburban but still much shorter than Ford's trucks.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote