View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 1991 Zr-1 Stumbling off idle

Congratz on your Z, and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Beast!

I agree w/ Scott & Glenn; taking a logical approach - and it sounds like you are, so far.

A Tech 1 approach is a good place to start, OR, have it scanned at one of the many auto parts stores that can do OBD-1 scans

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on the left side of the throttle body. I would want to pull the connector and read the resistance through its entire range, making sure resistance change throughout is smooth and unbroken.

Both fuel pumps come on initially for a few seconds, and then the secondary pump shuts off until load conditions are met for it to be switched back on. This will result in fuel pressure reading, more or less "normal" when performed w/o starting/running the motor. But, under actual driving conditions, a failing primary pump scenario matches your symptoms "to a tee" (as the secondary pump comes on to "rescue" the primary pump as load increases).

Dynamic fuel pressure test... Taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and going for a drive puts a finger on a delivery issue very effectively.

If you don't already have one, for sure you'll want to get the Factory Service Manual (aka FSM). AND, I'll say that my scanner has paid for itself many times over. (I'd kill for a TECH I, but even my little 'ol AutoXray has saved the day many times. Beit a TECH I or a Snap-On or whatever, I highly recommend everyone have one!)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 02-09-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote