View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014   #10
AustinJohn

Default Re: Oil Pressure Switch

Like many folks my car developed a sudden oil leak which I at first thought was the oil temperature sender and Pete made two good repair procedure suggestions - remove the passenger wheel and the center section of the wheel well liner. But once I removed the wheel and the wheel liner section and started to clean up the sprayed oil it was clear the cause was the oil pressure switch rather than the sender and searching the forum I found folks divided on whether the better approach to replace the switch was to remove the oil filter adapter or to raise the passenger side of the engine. Then I read Dave's procedure.

I have to admit I've done some unusual things in caring for my cars (and trucks and motorcycles) over the years but lying on them is a new one. Still it did make sense to help get one's left hand in a more natural and useful position, although removing the wheel goes a long way toward that same goal (of course all this assumes small hands as without removing hoses the space is limited). And I was already using a variant of Dave's stainless steel wire suggestion. But what really helped was seeing the picture of Dave's tools and particularly his flex head 3/8" socket driver. As the saying goes "use the right tool for the job" and indeed the flex head made all the difference in the world.

Unlike Dave I didn't yet have my replacement switch so I couldn't quickly button it up and total my time spent. Plus having removed the wheel and center section of the wheel well liner and done a lot of cleaning my time on the clock was much longer than his. But the important thing is result. And I now know that even if my new switch fails sometime down the road replacing it by removing the passenger wheel and the center section of the wheel well liner, using a helper wire to support the heavy socket with a flex head 3/8" socket driver is a doable task. So thank you, Dave.

John

'90 Black/Gray ZR-1 #1723[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Ported intake, Haibeck Chip, CORSA exhaust, 4.10 rear end, Hurst shifter,
drilled/slotted rotors, stainless brake lines, 32mm sway bar, 170ยบ thermostat

'94 Red/Gray Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Stock

'85 Black/Black Coupe[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
Anything but stock (Lingenfelter 383 and every Lingenfelter mod available in '88
including 3:54 rear end, big brakes, Centerforce clutch, MSD electronics and Borla exhaust.)
True "barn find" restored/upgraded by me beginning in 2010.[/SIZE]
AustinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote