View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015   #126
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
I just want to say that the Nittos really suck. I can't WAIT for them to wear out and get replaced...and I might not wait for it. Autocross wasn't bad, but I was definitely limited by the tires, just not gripping real well, although the slides were easy enough to catch.

But if the road is even slightly damp, they have nothing at all. I know the LT5 puts down a lot of power, but I have to be extremely careful and delicate with the throttle to avoid spinning the rears. There's a place near my house where it's a right turn, off-camber, uphill road (extreme example I'll grant) and when I make that right turn, I can't climb the hill at more than about 10mph or the rears just slide out from under me. It's almost comical if it wasn't so annoying. I swear I've driven R-compounds that work better in the wet.

Driving home a couple weeks ago, it was 200 miles straight in a downpour. Most of the time I had to stay in the right lane getting my doors blown off by every Prius on the road, because any faster and I hydroplaned badly. Worst tires in the rain I've ever experienced.
Yours is a curious review! My experience has been pretty much just the exact opposite. I've got the 555 and the 555r combo, and have nothing but nice to say about them. So, I wonder what is going on with your tires? Interesting, to say the least. (BTW, I have a video my wife Ami took on the mountain run last year where we took a flat (if not slightly negateive) camber turn at pretty close to a G. NO skidding...not even a squeal.

And, on Wednesday near Bowling Green, we got caught in rain like someone pouring water out of a boot. Yeah, I had to slow to about 45 mph because the wipers wouldn't keep up. But, no hydroplaning that I noticed, anyway.

Just sayin...

What is the date code on those tires of yours??

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote