View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015   #34
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 1991 1G1YZ23J7M5801146 Total Loss

Well, Lee...mebby you can 'splain it to a dummy like me?

The whole concept of a vehicle being "TOTALED", is a little fuzzy to me. I've had a couple cars "totaled"; one in particular that concerned me was in very good condition other than being in a wreck that only ended up crushing the front & rear clip. Ran great, new tires, brakes fresh, fresh rebuilt engine and trans (Jeep Cherokee, actually)...totaled???

I got a check for that car, but couldn't find one in anywhere near the condition my wrecked Jeep was before the accident. I felt then and now like I'd been ripped off. What were my options beside buying it back from the salvage yard (which, BTW, wanted more for it wrecked than the check I got from the insurance company...WTF??...another story tho).

And, is there not a chance for some unsavory collusion between and insurance company and an auto salvage yard, e.g., totaling a car when repairs would fall well under the market value of the parts in a majority of cases?

I wouldn't have been the least surprised if my car was 'totaled' after busting up the nose and hood - i.e., how many wrecked ZR-1s does an adjuster have to base his estimates on? Is that even a factor?

Just curious, cuz I'm close to that situation again (my truck got hit as result of 2 others mixing it up on a highway intersection and me getting caught in the "collateral damage".)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-08-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote