View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014   #8
A26B

Default Re: Last build-grille ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
Not a Corvette grille - it's some aftermarket part that was available back then. I don't know who was the supplier - maybe Honest Charlie or JC Whitney ...
I agree completely. They were simply known as "tube grills" for the obvious reason. There were very popular and a lot of sources. I noticed another popular mod, the solid front axle. The one shown looks like an early Ford. They were also fabricated and known as a "tube axle" being made from a piece of pipe and lighter than "solid." A lot of the 55-57's were butchered with radius rear wheel wells for tire clearance (before tubbing) and fender-well exit headers.

Ahhh, those were the days, 6 deuces, Schaler double lobe, half speed cams, pop-up pistons, Hurst 3-speed floor shifter conversions, radio speakers made from drive-in speakers, cheater-slicks, Thrush & Cherry Bomb glass packs.......

I had a 56 Ford with a 406, 3 deuces and a roller cam, Lincoln overdrive 3 speed, red/white laminated plexi-glass tear drop knobs, exhaust straight out of the manifolds because the clutch linkage was in the way & circling the A&W drive in.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote