View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014   #9
Hog

Default Re: Last build-grille ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I agree completely. They were simply known as "tube grills" for the obvious reason. There were very popular and a lot of sources. I noticed another popular mod, the solid front axle. The one shown looks like an early Ford. They were also fabricated and known as a "tube axle" being made from a piece of pipe and lighter than "solid." A lot of the 55-57's were butchered with radius rear wheel wells for tire clearance (before tubbing) and fender-well exit headers.

Ahhh, those were the days, 6 deuces, Schaler double lobe, half speed cams, pop-up pistons, Hurst 3-speed floor shifter conversions, radio speakers made from drive-in speakers, cheater-slicks, Thrush & Cherry Bomb glass packs.......

I had a 56 Ford with a 406, 3 deuces and a roller cam, Lincoln overdrive 3 speed, red/white laminated plexi-glass tear drop knobs, exhaust straight out of the manifolds because the clutch linkage was in the way & circling the A&W drive in.
Here is a better pic of the straight front axle As installed in Clone #1.

And another

With better pics, are you still confident hat its a 1950 Ford truck axle?

I know that the straight front axle that was in the original Diamondback was a 1950 Chev truck. The builders of Clone#2 removed the 50 Chev straight front axle from Diamondback, and replaced it with a conventional 57 Chev front suspension.

Thanks for the responses guys.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote