Old 01-11-2014   #22
vilant

Default Re: Bilstein Shock Self Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
FX3 Selective Rid Control TIPS
FX3 Actuator Rebuild TIPS

See Diagnosis
Please take a moment to inspect the small metal gear located on the top of the shock. Often they are broken and must be replaced before the fx3 system will be restored to working order. We have original equipment gears in stock for 1989 to 1991. We have replacement gears for 1992 and later models in stock also. These gears are made of steel finished in yellow zinc dichromate. There are two different gears used on the shocks in the fx3 system. The difference is in the size of the stop located along the lower edge of the gear. The year of your Corvette determines the type of gear used. See photo below.
Visually inspect the gear for breaks and for cracks. Also the gear should not be able to turn in complete circles without stopping. If you can turn it continuously without hitting the stop then it is broken and must be replaced. The gear can be replaced in either position without affecting the operation of the shock.

From this it appears to me the setup of the FX-3 is self aligning in all regards...........just want to make sure ????

This suggests self alignment is not what I think it is????
Maybe it is self aligning, and my controller is broken (but I don't think it is). All I know is, the gear on a brand new shock stripped out (only a few hundred miles on them), and I put the gear in the middle position because I didn't know which way it should go. I've been talking to the guy at Bilstein (cause I finally sent my original shocks in for rebuild) who's the manager of the re-build department. He made sound that the gear has to be in the open position or actuator will over turn the gear and damage it. Now that I think about it, when I first thought the actuator was bad, I noticed the gear only spun in one direction when I looked at it after turning the ignition on. Because it didn't spin back, I thought the actuator was bad. Bought a new actuator and it did the same thing. That's when I noticed the gear was stripped. Maybe only MY 1990 is not self aligning and later years are.
Either way it can't hurt to set the gear in the open position before you put the actuator on, if it is self aligning.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote