Thread: Myth BUSTERS!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Myth BUSTERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Rejex sealant/wax seems to last a little longer than just wax. Probably similar to other protective sealants.

Myself, I special order Mother's Synwax FX online because the parts store typically available consumer grade stuff has polish mixed in with the wax since most people aren't machine polishing. I polish separately so all I want is just the wax product. Otherwise it's the same stuff as the commercially available mothers synwax/polish combo.

I think Consumer reports did a test on car waxes and one particular top shelf Turtle Wax was the winner.
By my own experience in my conditions, AND by watching the trends in car polishes vs. wax over the past 12 years, there has been a migration - at least by some - toward nano-polishes (non-wax "sealants") of various sorts. But, perhaps the exception that seems to clearly stand out in contrast - are cars primarily prepped for show car competitions. For example, the complaint show car people have against non-(carnauba) wax is that wax produces a "glow" as opposed to a "harsh" reflective shine.

There ain't no acid test like BLACK paint! I am currently stuck on Zaino; a nano-polymer finish, as result of large amounts of arduous stripping and waxing and stripping/waxing again (as many as 3 times in a season).

My goal was to get that "wet tar", deep, shiny black look - which I found with Mother's (carnauba) wax. But, the problem was maintenance!! Summer sun on black paint was like flypaper! Pollen, dust (I lived on a gravel road) or fingerprints ... would reek havoc on (wax), whereas the nano-polymer proved to be relatively impervious to all that.

It's a lot of work to choose and apply any particular regime. And, to be done right, a new regime requires starting from scratch - and that can mean days of prep and multiple applications to "get it right". Naturally, once someone finds "IT", they have good reason to resist starting all over again, for the sake of trying something else. I'm guessing that is why this topic seems to produce so many that are adamant about one product or another.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote