View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021   #6
conesare2seconds

Default Re: Will 335 35 17 fit up front?

The widened wheels were used on a highly modded Z ages ago. Recalling my autocrossing heydays in the early and mid-2000s, a number of the modified C4s ran 315s up front, but I also recall a respected driver saying the wider tire dulled turn-in and made the car less agile, if more planted.

The common denominator being these were modified cars, with more power at a minimum and often suspension and chassis mods. I drove a very fast C4 for a while and used 11s all the way around but it had a full cage, no interior, tons of engine, etc. The unsprung weight issue was mitigated by light CCWs and very light, non-DOT competition tires.

So, at stock power levels, with a stock axle ratio and factory brakes, the cons outweigh the pros for the super wide wheels. I want to start dodging cones again but have no plans for track days or the kind of mods that would put more tire on the table.

As for a future set of CCWs (or the like) in 18 or 19, they are probably inevitable because of tire availability trends in 17 sizes, though my preference would be to stay with 17s.

Last edited by conesare2seconds; 02-18-2021 at 07:40 PM.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote