Thread: IAC question...
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: IAC question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Not to say I have the solution to your idle problem, but this is what I ended up doing...
I did not actually check the gap this particular time when I installed the IAC. I did however make sure that the pintle was under an inch from the base by depressing it by hand as shown in the pic as per FSM instructions below.

the instructions as per FSM...
"Tighten to 27 lb. in.
Reset the IAC valve pintle position
A. Depress accelerator pedal slightly
B. Start and run engine for five seconds
C. Turn ignition "OFF" for ten seconds
D. Restart engine and check for proper idle operation"

Also as has been mentioned, you would need to adjust your min-air screw and turn it counter clock wise to bring up your IAC counts. And you only turn that screw one "hair" at a time. Just a very, very slight touch is all that is needed. Then blip the throttle, and let the idle settle down and then check and reset your TPS if needed, blip the throttle again and let the idle settle down. You may have to repeat this procedure to get your readings within range. I would recommend a test drive after each of the two adjustments with your Tech 1 connected.
And of course these adjustments are made with the engine fully warmed up and in Closed Loop, which you probably know.
If your idle is still the 200-300 rpm's that you mentioned, there you most likely have another issue that needs to be determined and addressed.
BTW, what is your idle reading at now???
Good luck, hope you get everything corrected....

the pintle after retraction...I know the tape measure is not flush against the base, but placed it there to give you an idea....the pintle is now under one inch when adjusting the tape measure for the difference...
Interesting. I was unaware that blipping the throttle would reset the IAC after making the adjustment(s). Rather, I turned the ignition OFF for a few seconds, and then restarted. Hmmmm....

Also, I found the number of iterative procedures (adjusting the idle air screw and then the TPS voltage) was effectively cropped by adjusting the TPS first before turning the ignition off (or perhaps "blipping" would be easier!) to reset the IAC counts.

Anywayz...thanks for the tip. If ever I have a need to adjust the IAC again, I'll give "blipping" a try (as opposed to the OFF, re-start routine).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote