View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014   #129
WVZR-1

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

That is what "Hog" is explaining and when he mentions wide or close, he's referring to various transmission builds where the ratios of the internal gears could be or were altered.

The most common early reference to wide and close were the GM/Muncie but you couldn't mix the two. It was either 2.52, 1.88, 1.46 & 1.0 OR 2.20, 1.64, 1.28 & 1.0

There are various manual transmissions where the internals can be mixed and matched. The ZF S6-40 is fixed with no internal options. Wide or close don't apply and shouldn't even be mentioned in a conversation where the ZF is mixed into the conversation.

If you would like to compare the Muncie wide & close use the link I provided and enter the appropriate numbers and it will display exactly what the RPM results of the two would be.

Clint - use my link and enter all of the information for the 3.45, now change that to 4.10 and you'll "see" the results and be able to more easily compare or sort your thoughts. Now if you would like change the tire sizing, you can see that difference also.

The friend ask me to evaluate it for him when using a transmission that is available with multiple internal combinations and I just thought it should make everything a bit easier to understand for everyone when they're considering rear axle ratios because it takes into account the "total drive ratio" right down to including the various tire possibilities. The graph and the MPH/RPM results make the one I linked a bit more understandable.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote