View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014   #16
Bob Eyres

Default Re: wow some cool words at barrett jackson .

I think that the reason for the varying assessments of the ZR-1's worth hinge somewhat on knowledge of the car. Those that aren't steeped in the history of the ZR-1 tend to undervalue it. The guys on this forum on the other hand, because of their knowledge and love for the car might tend to overvalue it to a certain extent.

I would take Keith Martin's view seriously because he does know a lot about the car, and in fact speaks highly about the ZR-1 every time one appears in an auction. But his job demands that he be a realist, crunch the numbers, and give a straight assessment.

The article on the matching ZR-1's illustrates a concept of rarity that's prevalent in the collector car world. I call it "A distinction without a difference". In what ways are those cars superior in any way from average, well kept ZR-1's of both generations? Color choice? That earns a big "So What" from me.

The L-88 earned it's status, not just because of rarity, but because, in the days of monster engines, that high strung beast ruled the street. A predator from a different age that didn't even drink the same fuel that powers modern cars. The Tyrannosaurus Rex of Corvettes. That's why they're so valuable, not because it had radio delete, or a color not offered in your local Chevy store.

JMHO, others may vary.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote