View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015   #39
Hib Halverson

Default Re: Is this a v6 Turbo ZR-1 Prototype Engine? Friend purchased it (pics) ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIke View Post
So cool! Looks like they married a big block head to the 4.3 v6! That's awesome
It's not a BBC head "married" to the 4.3.

The splay-valve V6-90 head was a clean-sheet-of-paper, racing part, released back in the '88-'90 period for the V6-90, which, back then, was popular in a number of racing series. While it mimicked the Big-Block's splay-valve layout, it departed from the BBC design in that the valve configuration was equally-spaced (E-I-E-I-E-I) whereas the BBC (and the Gen 1-2 SBC) were E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E and the production 4.3 was (E-I-E-I-I-E).

I noted that the image of the top of the head with the rocker cover off also showed a CN with an "X" in it which means the part was "experimental". That's a clue that the heads were a development piece at the time the images of the engine in a C4 were taken. Later examples of that head, i.e.: parts off production tooling, have only the PN and not the CN with the "X".

There were several versions of that head, apparently, because I've seen them with PN 10134384, as well as, PN 14044841 shown in the imagery in this thread.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote