View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021   #7
XfireZ51

Default Re: The king is dead. Long live the King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Well this makes our cars more special... I think when mentioning this new motor and the DOHC, they will say something like "not since the LT5 of 1990 -1995 has a DOHC engine been in a Corvette"......... Reminding people they have done it before but not since. It was truly a technical achievement back in the 80s, and this new LT6 is just that now. What GMs engineers have done with this new DOHC motor is just insane!!
Rush, to your point, a recent interaction I had with a much younger car enthusiast. There?s a nice little farmstand that I go to which involves driving some nice backroads here in Chicagoland. Nice day and took the ZR for a ride. I got out of the car and had my ZR-1 splash hat on. Once I picked up my string beans and some apple cider donuts, I walked up to pay. The young man was probably in his early 20?s. I paid for the items and then he said,
?Did you see Chevy announced the new Z06?? And he then pointed out that the new LT6 was similar to the LT5 in my ZR-1.
He was excited about it. Which is exactly what Corvette has been looking to do w the C8. A new generation ?gets? the legacy of the C4 ZR-1 and how it is the predecessor to this new generation of powerful ICE powerplants. Maybe its because many of them played Grand Theft Auto, and the C4 ZR-1 was one of the stars of that gaming era. I recall that the enthusiasm for the C4 ZR was very similar to what we now see for the LT6 powered C8. Just like the LT6, the LT5 was viewed as one of the most technologically advanced motors of its time. Everybody is talking way over sticker, just like when the C4 version came out.
Some look at this as the decline of something. I think its a rebirth w a renewed interest in what paved the way for what we have now.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote