View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020   #19
Locobob

Default Re: So... this was in my oil drain pan...

No drill hole in the plug. The plug measures .525 across the threads, and Mark Haibeck is telling me that nothing bigger than about .25 can get through the oil pan windage tray to the bottom of the oil pan where the drain hole is. I haven't checked to see if it fits through the drain plug hole but it should just barely as the drain plug bolt specs as a 5/8's
So that leaves the following possibilities:
The plug is unrelated and was sitting in the drain pan already and I failed to notice it.
The plug fell into the drain pan from somewhere else on the engine
My oil pan windage tray is either bent or modified in such a manner that the plug made it through to the bottom.

I took it out for about a 15 minute drive. On start up and for about the first 5 minutes I'm getting really strong oil pressure, like 65-70psi. Once its good and warmed up I'm seeing maybe 25-30psi after idling for a minute but I'm seeing more like 60psi when I get on the gas.
I finally found the FSM oil pressure specs, they list minimum hot idle oil pressure as 12psi... so perhaps I'm worrying way too much about this. But its odd that it's suddenly lower than it used to read, and its odd that it corresponded with finding that plug in the pan.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368

Last edited by Locobob; 12-13-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote