View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014   #34
mgg

Default Re: Time to face the music.

I guess the key word in all of this is "collector" not really how great a car really is. I think I have some perspective on this. In 1981 I bought a 1966 GT350 H. Black/Gold stripes 4 spd. I restored the car and it was magnificent. It was so nice that I was almost scared to drive it. The bottom line is: from a performance perspective, from a driveability perspective that GT350H couldn't hold a candle to my ZR-1. I loved that Shelby but quite frankly it was an old design that was great in its day but archaic in performance compared to modern performance cars. The ZR-1 with all of its historic significance, especially the 1990 model with the records that it broke, the huge splash it made when it was introduced was a true supercar. I would argue it has more historic significance than just about any other corvette. I sold my Shelby in 1990 to buy a new C4 L98 Z51 6spd. I planned on autoxing then eventually turning it into a race car which I did. I raced the car in SCCA & NASA for approx. 15 years. Selling the Shelby for a good chuck of cash allowed me to do this. I am grateful for that. However I do not quite understand how a 70 NOVA or 340 Duster can even be in the same value league as a C4 ZR-1. Are you kidding me! These cars although neat are nothing more than a grocery getter with motor. No engineering, no brakes, no handling. It seems to me that the performance of the C4 and the racing success seems to get swept under the rug. Dominating World Challenge with the likes of Porsche, Lotus, etc. rarely gets mentioned. My C4 although significantly modified is still competitive today with all of the new iron out there. That's over a 20 year run. These collectors seemed to more interested a 200hp Trans -am with a bird on the hood that won't get out of its own way. Let em have em. Gentleman, I think we a very fortunate to have one of the truly great cars without having to spend a fortune. My Zr-1 is at Haibecks as we speak finishing up the 350/510 package. I will enjoy driving this car for many years and will be thrilled if some day the value begins to appreciate. Until then, I will enjoy what I believe is truly on of the most significant cars in automotive history and be very proud to own say I own one. I did receive an e-mail from a friend who tracked my Shelby after I sold it. It eventually ended up in California. He sent me an article from a California newspaper that talked about a historical Shelby that burned up in the California fires. It happened to be my old car. The insurance company paid him 100k for the car. I have no regrets. I have loved my C4s and especially my ZR-1. WHen I purchased my C4 new in 1990 I remember seeing a new ZR-1 roped off and telling my wife. That's what I really want , but no way could we afford that. Years later I got my ZR-1 with only 10k miles, have modified it just the way I want with 18 Fikses FM5s , coilovers, Wilwood six piston brakes, 410 gears and now the Haibeck treatment. I am one happy guy. As I said no regrets! If you are ever in the market for a ZR-1, I would agree with Bill Stevens, now is the time before the secret gets out.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote