View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024   #19
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: A question for the longtime owners.

A loaded question if ever there was one.

We tend to obsess over our toy cars.
We drive them infrequently.
We try to keep them perfect in every way, which plays a major role in their propensity to stay garaged.
Now there are exceptions to the above, but usually measured in degree as opposed to opposite use.
Much of the "FUN" has to do as much with the care as it does with the driving.

To utilize a Toy Car as a daily driver is the dream of many.
Some do and love it.
Others try and hate it.
They can't stand the dirt, the risk when parked and the overall heightened worry about their special toy.
Heck, I and others are that way with our daily driver that is not a specialty car, and this ramps up significantly if the car is new or special.

In the mid 90's, I drove my first ZR-1 (now Charlie Dredge guys beauty) as a daily driver. I loved it, sort of..................
Not real comfortable in a suit.
Don't roll the window down on a rainy day unless you want to look like you peed.
Fear of theft, damage, gawkers riding your tail at 80, and every delinquent young or old wanting to race all of time anywhere.
But the worst?
Waking up Saturday morning and seeing the dirt and now having to spend hours trying to restore perfection, only to go through it all again the next week.
Such use eventually simply sucked the fun out of the equation.

I have helped many sell their c-1 to c-6 to buy a C-7 or a C-8.
If they drove the earlier car as a toy, many missed having the perfect toy, even though they found the new car to be so technically superior to the older one.

Now, everyone is different, but the ideal solution seems to be, keeping your "toy" and adding a "newer" daily.
Now the newer daily can be a 140k Z06, or it can be a C-5 costing 15k, a C-6 costing 30k, or a C-7 or C-8.
But some of those end up with two "toys". I did. Mistake.

We always think the "new" car brings new fun.
Sometimes it just does not after the initial glow is gone.

My Malibu daily with every feature available is a VERY pleasant daily driver.
I don't have to dive down into it or pull myself up out of it. The sound system humbles that of my ZR-1, the cross traffic alert is great as are all of the other aids and gadgets.
Sure I could get all of that on a c-7 or C-8 but it comes with (guilt?) of daily drives and the feeling that I am not caring for the car the way I want to.

Keep the ZR-1.

Buy and try a toy daily.
A HIPO late model Mustang, A CTS Blackwing, or even an older Chevrolet SS might also be a consideration as they are all MUCH easier to get in and out of and yet can still put your eyeballs in the back of your head whenever you desire.

I hope this helps some of you.

I tended to get LOTS of calls from guys and gals that sold their older toys and found out they missed them and sort of regretted letting them go.........
and looked for another.....................
and so it goes.......

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote