View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016   #15
Roadster

Default Re: The Time is Now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Congratulations!!!! Life is short so enjoy every minute of it. It sounds like you have a great plan there.

Aloha,
Craig
Thanks Craig.....everyday is one day less I know, it will be here before I know it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
Roadster, I hope that you have forged pistons with deep valve reliefs. Small dome, flat or dished? I`m guessing cast. At about .570 lift on the cam and you`re in danger of valve to piston interference. On the 3917215 heads you`re your limited to about .550 lift before danger of retainer to guide clearance problems. Mill the guides down and machine them for positive seals. Need at least .060 clearance to be safe. Don`t worry about those heads not being able to breathe. It`s the same closed chamber head that was on the earlier 396`s & 427`s. The 489 i have with the Bullit .709/.709 roller has a set of oval port 781`s with 2.190/1.880 valves. Edelbrock with 1150 Dominator. MSD dist. and 6AL box. It runs 10.20 in the quarter @ 6300 rpm wot. With a three second 150 shot it`ll run a 9.70 @ 6700 rpm wot. A Fel-Pro 4.370 bore gasket compressed to .039 would be a good choice unless you could find a Victor tin metal gasket. In the early 70`s i would spray them with aluminum paint on both sides and apply asap. Hope i haven`t been a bother. Not trying to steal the post. Best of luck in retirement.

Richard, no problem what-so-ever. Your times form your build are great, sounds like a very strong motor.
I am not an experienced engine builder by any stretch. So your thoughts and suggestions are very well appreciated. I think I will have to "tap" your brain even more as time goes on, if you don't mind!!! I need to get the specs on the cam, can't remember off hand, and the pistons are the stock LS4 units which are in the pic below.
I think that they are 8.25:1
And thanks again for the well wishes.....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote