View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021   #25
wfot

Default Re: lost spark in cylinder 1

I just want to go over some basic ideas again.

1) new parts do not mean that they are positively good. I know someone said that already.

2) The spark has to go from one tower thru the wire, jump the plug gap (from the center electrode to the ground electrode), travel thru the block to the other plug, jump the gap (from the ground electrode to the center electrode), thru the other plug wire, back to the other mating tower. this is the complete path that the spark needs to travel.

it fires BOTH plugs every rotation. one on the compression stroke and the other on the exhaust stroke.
knowing this, can you swap the #1 and #6 wires on the towers and see if the spark moves from the #6 plug to the #1 plug? not swapping wires, swapping towers #6 to #1- this will send the spark the opposite direction thru the same path. swapping the towers moves starting point of the spark from #6 to #1,

if #1 fires and #6 dies, this would indicate that the spark travel thru the block is poor/not getting to the other plug. the spark will ground to the nearest possible ground and not completing the whole circuit. for example: sparks starts in tower #6, it travels down the #6 plug wire and sparks the #6 plug, then somewhere that spark ground to the block/something else before it gets to the #1 plug, the #1 plug will never fire and you will have the symptoms you describe. If this is truly happening, swapping towers and sending the #6 spark to the #1 cylinder should spark the #1 plug and kill the #6 spark..... It is a weird scenario but what you have is weird so it might worth a try.

If the above starts firing the #1 and kills the #6, then looks for a bad block ground or a short of a plug wire somewhere along the entire path..

John

If that does not work take the #1 plug out and ensure that there is only ONE washer on the plug, and none down in the hole. if there are 2 washers in there, the grounding is compromised and the escaping cylinder pressure can push the plug wire off the plug as well... = dead cylinder/poor spark. ask me how I know that one...

Last edited by wfot; 12-30-2021 at 11:44 AM.
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote