View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015   #1
XfireZ51

Default Regarding Catch Cans

Earlier last week I happened to be looking at the catch can I installed last year. Underneath it I noticed what looked like an oily looking area. I reached under the can and felt an oil film that looked like it originated from one of the site tube fittings. So I removed the can from the car to use some plumbing tape to seal it. The can also has a bottom lid that screws into the can and I noticed it was not torqued. At this point I was pretty certain this may also be causing a vacuum
leak to the manifold. Although the motor idles well, I had noticed some slight surging at idle. More so when freewheeling while decelerating from speed. I made sure I sealed and tightened things down reinstalling the can. Actually my catch can is an oil separator and does not use any medium to trap the oil. Oil drops out of suspension as the air cools and oil collects at the bottom. Had 1-2 tablespoons of oil after 1500 miles. I can also tell there's less oil in exhaust because tips stay much cleaner and clean up much easier than before.
Took car out yesterday to a C&C. I immediately noticed how much smoother the idle was and how much less the motor oscillated when freewheeling.
The leak wasn't enough to be OBVIOUS but once tightened down, the difference was very noticeable.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 05-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote