View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014   #7
MikeSuke

Default Re: Hopefully not catastrophic failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
if you were closer I was going to offer to run over and lend a hand if possible. I haven't heard of many non sprayed lt5s going down but that's not to say it can't happen.
Really appreciate that!! thanks!!

Would it be more likely to fail if it wasn't the factory original assembly? I feel like someone has taken this apart before... I may be crazy but.... this car has some mods that I can see that were not advertised by the seller, including coil overs and C5 brakes up front. I swear the engine was painted too. its drastically different in color from my 90 and doesn't look to me like it is discoloration... I guess I wont know until I get in there but I'm assuming if the coil over conversion is a big effort and the brake upgrade isn't cheap either, is it likely that the engine was worked as well? I'm really curious to get in there! but a little intimidated...

I'm no mechanic but I've done a decent amount of work on SBCs, just enough to be dangerous. is it crazy for someone with limited experience to take on this head gasket job? I mean, I've got all winter pretty much! Anyone have a ballpark on how much labor a shop might hit me up for?
MikeSuke is offline   Reply With Quote