View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013   #7
Dynomite

Default Re: ZR-1 newbie oil change question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockLT5 View Post
Just got my 92 red/red and just love it! Previous owner said oil was changed last fall and with almost no miles on the new oil but think I'll change it just so I know for sure when done last. My question: Need to lift the car a few inches to get oil pan under car so I thought I'd drive it up on my ramps (6 inches of lift), and allow the oil to drain over several hours. WIll this mess up the amount of oil drained and that needs to be replace? I believe it's 8.5 quarts with filter right?

Sorry about the trivial question but I want to do this right.

Thanks for your help
Perfect....I do exactly as you do when changing oil.......the little oil you might miss this time you will get next time and you will definitely leave some oil in the engine when you drain...NO PROBLEM

Let it sit over night (or a couple hours) before you remove the oil filter to make sure the oil filter has drained back. Just add 8-9 quarts of oil. The best time to check oil is one pull of the dipstick after it has sat for several hours. Take the first reading as just removing/replacing the dipstick leaves oil in the dipstick tube which messes up readings after the first.

I use AMSOIL 10W 40 Synthetic LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote