View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021   #28
KJL

Default Re: Cam Position Sensor Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
I'm afraid I am one of many . Phil's my first address, hope he can help me out. Repair yes, I will consider. Just wondering if I can safely use degreaser / brake cleaner to rinse off engine oil? Otherwise my bond will not cling to the mating surfaces... Not sure what's inside the sensor and I don't dare to ultimately break it.
That is an issue. The problem is the sensor plastic case has oil inside it. No matter what I did, oil kept weeping through. I cleaned the best I could with brake cleaner and filed kind of a flat where the crack was which went up the side and half way across the top. I coated the areas with JP weld for plastic and skim coated the top....must keep it thin as the clearance between the cam and sensor is pretty tight. I then sanded it smooth and blended/contoured it the best I could. I used silicone sealant in the o-ring pocket and installed the new o-ring, blended it around the oring and let cure overnight. Installed a few days later. No issues so far but have not driven it much either.

While I am not certain, I am guessing the sensor is potted in some sort of epoxy material which is why these things continue to work even when full of oil. I think most of them are cracked, it is just when that crack makes it into the oring groove, it begins to leak and possibly past the wire entry point.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 03-03-2021 at 05:10 PM.
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote