Thread: Frankenplenum
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015   #84
rptech

Default Re: Frankenplenum

So I found this post very appealing. I own several commercial 3D printers, and ironically just finished 3 different intakes for a race teams big block chevy. What I usually do on something like this is scan the existing manifold (Reverse engineer). This gives me CAD data of the of all the factory geometry. For those of you that are not familiar with the design engineering world, this basically means I now have the factory manifold digitally recreated on my computer screen in 3D. I can then manipulate the design, building off the existing port geometry to create the new plenum and runners.
From my new CAD model, I can then do a CFD analysis to see how well it flows in the virtual world. This eliminates the cost of just blindly making parts until you find a design that works. We find all those gains/deficiencies on the computer before we build a physical part. From here I now send this data to my rapid prototype machine, or 3D printer as they are called by most people now, and print my new manifold out in plastic (FDM). These can then be mounted, and ran on a dyno. The ABS plastic usually does not last long though due to deformation from the heat. They do however last long enough for the testing required to validate our virtual data results.
Once the design is optimized, the plastic prototype can be used to create an aluminum casting for a permanent part. OR, hold onto your shorts, we can now actually print out these permanent parts in all kinds of different metals (DMLS) that are as strong as what would be manufactured using the traditional casting methods that created what came on your car. It is amazing what we can do these days. The technology is mind blowing.
Sorry to bore everybody this early in the morning- was anybody able to stay awake for that long boring dissertation? LOL
[COLOR=slategray][B]1965 Corvette convertible 327/365hp[/B]
[B]1970 Corvette LS5 convertible[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1972 Corvette 350/300hp[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1990 ZR1 #788[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1991 ZR-1[/B][/COLOR]
rptech is offline   Reply With Quote