View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015   #128
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
I haven't checked the date code, but I'll do that when I head home this afternoon. That 200 miles was all interstate highway, about half on concrete and half on asphalt. The concrete was the worst, bad draining and standing water made it like a skating rink. I could run 60mph when people around me were doing 70 with ease, and there were times when I slowed it to 50 due to spinning rears and sliding fronts. Getting to the asphalt section was an incredible relief, much better drainage and traction.

Just playing with the throttle on a damp road gets wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd, without really trying. I mean maybe 1/3 throttle, not like I'm even hitting it hard. I'll check the tires this afternoon and see exactly what I've got, but I'm saving my pennies for Michelins.
I had the Goodyear 'D3s on it before. They were very good, even when wet. But, as a dragrace tire, they weren't so good, and when it was at/below 40 degrees, they were like you're describing. But, in all fairness, they arn't intended to be a winter tire. Which brings up another question, if you don't mind me asking: @ what temps do you tires skid?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-19-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote