View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014   #74
rhipsher

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
Sure,you were starting to reel him in. His LT5 was probably starting to run out of breath in 4th gear with those 4.10's. Whereas,at 120mph,your car with the 3.73's was still hitting its stride.
But,you didn't catch him,did you?

I won't argue the point that 3.45's aren't an excellent cog for top-end blasts over 120mph. But,I ask the question once again: How many times a year does your ZR-1 see speeds way over 120mph? Probably,not that often. How often do you find yourself driving down the expressway in 5th gear,instead of 6th? When my car still had the 3.45's,I caught myself doing it quite often. To be perfectly honest,I wouldn't mind if our 94 had 3.45 cogs because the Texas speed limits are 75mph or even higher.
But,I still prefer a little more acceleration over a little more top end. Different strokes for different folks,,
Clint as rare is it might be I am one of those guys that have gone well past the 120 mark on many occasions. And I can say from my experience that top speed is achieved in 5th with the stock 3.45. When I shifted into 6th gear I fell from 182mph to 168mph in a hurry. At top speed I was pegged at 7200rpm's. 4:10's might make 6th gear useful but I wonder if I would run out of RPM's before reaching top speed with them.
I'm with Pete on this one. If I had $1,500 to burn on performance mods I go with the ones that are actually going to create more HP. Because more HP is just more. And with 3.45 your going to see gains in every way. Launch and top end. Id rather have the overall increase than one or the other.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote