View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016   #25
spork2367

Default Re: Prices and Valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
My mistake. You're looking at two sales vehicles instead one. You're looking at auctions and eBay. Probably the two worst sources for setting a market that exist. One is dependent on 2 people being present that want the vehicle in order to drive the price up which you then can't use as a market setter and the other pulls about 2% of the buying market. First of all, if I was in the market for my first ZR-1 I would NEVER go to eBay. The reason my buddy gets those prices is he's a respected known quantity that can be trusted not to sell junk, they need nothing when you pick them up and they are well documented. Exactly what you want when buying a car like this. Would I pay his price? Probably not. But I'm a current owner. I don't need those assurances. I have resources for parts and repairs, I know what to look for and I don't really want to pay for his overhead. But for a first purchase that's where I'd go 100 times before I went to BJ, eBay or CL. Another good source is right here on The Registry. Most likely the car will be well known and it may have even changes between members hands. I bought mine here 3 years ago and paid $24k for a low production '94 AB. Seller and car were well known on the boards. I'm not saying you can't use those 2 sources. They are sources after all. Just be careful with how much weight you give them.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Sell junk? We're talking about cars with buy it now and 11,400 or less miles. On top of that, there is nothing stopping you from emailing the seller to go look at the vehicle. That's exactly what I did when I bought my salvage ZR1. It was actually listed as just the engine and transmission.

90% of the stuff I buy from eBay I buy through a private party sale after the auction has ended. Listing a buy it now on eBay is really no different from listing one for sale on here. It's just an advertising medium. In the end, it's the buyers responsibility to do their homework no matter where it's being sold. People are ripped off at dealerships every day of the week.

You're confusing your buddy being a dealer with him being your buddy. The two things are unrelated. If he were selling a car on craigslist you'd stop trusting him? Your buddy at the dealership apparently has a much higher premium than any of the auction houses or eBay.

What about the sub 20k mile car listed on here right now? When the story is the same across the board, you can't really blame the medium through which it's being sold as the problem. You buddies dealership seems to be the one exception.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote