View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014   #7
mike100

Default Re: About to use my Tech 1a for the first time, pointers? ---

For the 2nd cartridge...I read about it once, but I don't know what diagnostic application used it. Some of the older ones needed it- remember in the mid 80's that computer memory was mucho tiny and probably the add-on 2nd cartridge is a leftover from the 16kb days.

The body one interfaces with the CCM computer- I tried mine once- you can control the radio without touching the radio- it was fun. Did you know the factory Bose radio has a l/r balance control? you don't have a knob for it, but the Tech1 software has a function to fade/balance the sound to just one speaker so you can test them individually. The mass-storage unit has body system functions built into it so you may never use the dedicated one. I think it may be possible the dedicated modules may have some functions the 300003 cartridge doesn't, but for the most part, you will be using that MSC.

To hook it up- get power thru the lighter and ign key to the on position. See if it prompts you for the year of the car and the vin code for the engine- once that is selected, Don't select the self-test mode (hit 'no') try to read live data (the engine doesn't have to be running, but it is more interesting if it is). you scroll thru the screens with the arrow keys. The exit key brings you back a level and you can get to the screen to read/erase codes. It makes sense once you get communication with the vehicle. The hardest part will be accessing the stupid ALDL plug under the dash. Mine is unscrewed so I can grab it easier.

The best part is that you can really easily diagnose many other early GM cars and trucks too.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote