View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022   #8
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: '94 ZR-1 Sold on Cars & Bids in October-commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
You can roll your eyes, but go look at BAT results and it shows exactly this. Clean C4s have gone up in value and comparable low mileage Lt1 and Lt4 cars are right there with ZR-1 closer to a 10k margin, not 15k.

There are lots of different perspectives on this. From the driver, to the collector, to the dealer.

Sure, if I had 6 ZR-1s on my car lot, I'd be hoping that wasn't the case.

They are definitely up over the last 2 years, but the entire market is. Clean low mileage cars are starting to bring much more of a premium over drivers cars than they did previously.

The market is cooling off again though. I think it's more of an overall market trend, because air cooled Porsches have leveled off as well. My sister just sold her clean 80k 1984 911 on BAT. BAT cars still bring a 10% premium over the rest of the market for whatever reason. But then, you can look at the 2000 Chevy Metro that just sold on there for 18k and never cease to be amazed at how people spend their money.

If these cars were going to catch that big break they've missed three opportunities that seemingly could have set the benchmark for an increase in popularity.

- The intro of the C6/C7 ZR1s
- The tsunami of a price increase on 90s cars from NSXs to Porsches, to Vipers, to 308s etc. In the time those cars were doubling in value, the ZR-1 sat still.
- Then the reintroduction of the second ever DOHC Corvette motor.

If none of those boosted the popularity, they probably just are what they are. That combined with the similarity to the standard C4, the shitty amenities including interiors, windshields, etc. doesn't exactly make them super desirable. While they are incredibly reliable, the perception is that they are finicky. Whether its injectors, fuel pumps, non-start due to valley drain issues, many need immediate attention and are perceived as difficult to work on and hard to find parts for.

These are not cars the super wealthy are looking for, and while there is hesitancy about what inflation and the market are going to do, I see these sitting right where they are at for the foreseeable future.

I agree with the highlighted.
Selling them between 40k and 70k.
Not just me.
Mecum.
BAT.
and others.
Very likely will continue, then higher.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote