Thread: ABS Issues
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013   #1
zig

Default ABS Issues

I posted this on another forum and got no responses. hopefully someone can offer some guidance here.

For such a simple system, this ABS is kicking my butt. I got the car about a month ago and has had the Service ABS light come on every time I drive it. Sometimes within the first mile and sometimes after a few miles. I pulled the codes and it has the three listed in the title. It may have more but I understand it can only hold three at any one time. I have cleared the codes multiple times and all three codes eventually come back. The startup self test runs, I hear the pump and feel the brakes when I start off. No ABS light ever after the startup test. Tested the accelerometer. 2.7 volts on level ground. When I rotate it the voltage changes to 5.0 volts in one direction and .5 volts in the other. Will assume that is good. Haven't seen that written on a Corvette site but did see those voltages written on a Porsche site that said they used an early model Bosch ABS system.

I'll start with Code 21 - Have tested the RF sensor and it shows 1140 ohms. Went back to the body harness connector and measure resistance there and got the same. Went to the EBCM connector and measure the circuit and got the same. Wires are good. Not shorted to ground or power and the sensor shows good resistence.

Code 32 and 36 - Have verified the wires are good all the way back to the EBCM connector. Bearings are not bad on either side. Toothed wheels are clean on both sides. Pulled the sensor and cleaned them (they were both dirty around the magnets). Cleaned the sensor seating surfaces and reseated the sensors with sealant and 86 in lbs of torque. Still set the codes. Jacked the rear and put it on jack stands. Ran it in first gear up to about 12-13 mph(I don't recommend doing this but I'm desperate). Measured .80-.85VAC on the left side and .95-1.0VAC on the right. Put a piece of paper between the sensor and hub to increase the air gap and decrease the signal level on the right side. Got them within .05VAC. Codes still set again after I cleared them. Not sure what the air gap between the sensor and the toothed wheel is supposed to be. If anyone has an idea or knows what the signal level is supposed to be at a given speed, I'd like to write that in my FSM.

Only thing I cannot do is check the ECBM wheel speeds since I don't have a Tech1/1A. I have TunerPro v5 and ALDL to USB cable but haven't been able to establish comms with the EBCM using it.

Only thing I can think is the EBCM is flakey but I haven't read anyone having problems like this. Any other ideas?

Mike
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote