Thread: Engine Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009   #15
Dylan@Adams

Default Re: Engine Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ruby View Post
Dylan, you need to do some research so you know what's up with C4 Corvette engines. Any kind of washing on an LT5 or LT1 will be detrimental to engine componets. The LT5 had a problematic paint finish applied to it that requires special attention or you can end up making it worse looking than just some dirt.
and thus the reason I stated this in the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams
I have heard the early 90-ish vettes don't like water too much
I've been professionally detailing for over 13 years now, but any LT1/LT5 vettes I have had the privilege of touching have either been pristine under the hood and required no work or were only dirty enough to require a little detail spray and microfiber to come clean, then controlled APC for any areas that needed degreasing.

As with any "sensitive paint" it will be susceptible to staining, discoloration, or worse if harsh chemicals are used for cleaning. This is the reason I suggested that even if the engine compartment were VERY dirty he use a highly diluted mixture of APC in a spray in order to control what got wet and what didn't. Trust me, I don't go around telling people with potentially problematic areas of their car to grab the hose and the harshest chemical they can find and apply with an SOS pad... if I had no clue what I was talking about I'd have been run out of business a loooooong time ago.

Last edited by Dylan@Adams; 10-26-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Dylan@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote