View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013   #25
Hib Halverson

Default Re: Optima or Odyssey ... close dimensions, will it fit? ---

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned previously, the Odyssey 75PC1230, which is their new side terminal only unit, bolts right in to a C4.

I just put one in my 95.

Previously, I had to use the Odyssey 75/86 PC1230 with a modified right side cowl-to-fram brace.

I've been using Odysseys for a number of years now in most of my cars. What prompted my changing from Optima Red Tops to Odyssey was what I decided was failing quality of Optimas. The last one I used was subjected to two deep cycles and died 9 months after installation...totally unacceptable in a collector car duty cycle.

So far, Odysseys have extraordinary life in service. Along with the best deep cycle durability I've seen in a car battery. I have one in my '01 Camaro, which was the first Odyssey I installed in 2006. Shelf life seems to be darn good, too. The battery I just put in my 95, had been sitting in my parts storage for two years before I cut open the box and installed it.

What seems to set an Odyssey apart from most other batteries is its ability to provide very short duration very high current flow, such as when starting a high compression engine like an LT5 or an LS7. I have one in my 2G ZR1 and one in my '12 Z06 and in both cases, cold cranking speed increased slightly.

Totally "sold" on Odyssey batteries.

For those looking for bargains, Sears sells some of the Odyssey part numbers as the Die Hard Platinum. It's the same as an Odyssey except for the Die Hard name and a gray rather than orange case.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote